Chronic stress can make you feel exhausted, irritable, worried, and even sick. But it's not you, it's your fight, flight freeze response that's stuck in the ON position. In this course I'll teach you how to turn off stress and turn on calm.
Everyone experiences stress and anxiety in their life, and for some people, traumatic experiences take that stress and anxiety to an even higher level in the form of PTSD or Panic Attacks.
In this course, I teach you how to turn on your body's natural calming response, the parasympathetic response, and train your mind and body to calm down, relax, and turn on the "rest, digest, and heal" response.
The Stress and Anxiety response is a natural reaction to danger and it shows up in our Body through the Fight, Flight, Freeze Response. You feel your stomach go tight, hands cold and sweaty, your heart starts beating faster and your body tenses up. This is your nervous system preparing you to fight off physical danger. But this reaction isn't helpful when you're having problems in your work, school, relationships or if you're struggling with chronic stress or anxiety. When that reaction is severe, you may develop PTSD, Panic Disorder or Anxiety disorders.
In this course you'll learn:
- How your stress response works
- How to turn on the calming part of your nervous system (the parasympathetic response)
- Over 20 easy activities to turn on calm
- Essential skills for managing Stress, Anxiety, PTSD and Panic Attacks
About Your Instructor
Hi there! I’m Emma McAdam, I’m a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and I love helping people change. But I know that understanding mental health can be confusing and stressful, but there is hope. you can change your brain and resolve painful emotions - and I can walk you through that process.
I’ve been working in the field of change and growth since 2004. I’ve worked in settings like Juvenile Corrections, Adventure Therapy programs, High Schools, Wilderness Therapy programs, Residential Treatment Centers, and Outpatient Therapy.
I love helping people change and I'm willing to be creative in how I help that happen. I take a solution-centered approach with an emphasis on learning skills to help people find love, purpose, and joy in life. In my spare time, I enjoy exploring the world with my husband and daughters, spending time outdoors, photography, making stuff, and learning new things.
- Understanding Your Nervous System (0:28)
- Stress, Anxiety, and Worry- What's the difference? (3:57)
- The Fight, Flight, Freeze Response-The Root of Stress (4:52)
- The Two Parts of Your Nervous System: The Sympathetic and Parasympathetic response (3:15)
- What is "Grounding"? (6:11)
- Grounding with the 5 Senses (3:13)
- Keep Learning
- Square Breathing Exercise (3:22)
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation (8:43)